Quantcast
I have 26 consecutive profitable trades of 15% or better. How is this possible? Every day there are hundreds of stocks setting new highs, no matter what happens in the overall market. Many of these stocks are still at very reasonable valuations. Afraid of buying stocks at their highs? Think of it this way: a new high is really a future floor for companies with solid financial underpinnings. Quantitative momentum modeling makes it easy to identify stocks that can continue this upward momentum trend. Why does this happen? It's really very simple..ask me about what investors and cows have in common. I am $$$ MR. MARKET $$$. I AM HUGE!!! Bring me your finest meats and cheeses. You can join in on the fun. Register for free and you'll be able to post messages on this forum and also receive emails when $$$ MR. MARKET $$$ makes his own trades. ($$$MR. MARKET$$$ is a proprietary investor and does not provide individual financial advice. The stocks mentioned on this forum do not represent individual buy or sell recommendations and should not be viewed as such. Individual investors should consider speaking with a professional investment adviser before making any investment decisions.)
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Default Market sentiment for week ending July 17, 2020

Market sentiment for week ending July 17, 2020
    Short Term Bias: Bullish
    Long Term Bias: Bullish

I have included annotated daily charts for the NASDAQ, Dow, and S&P because of the divergences in these three indices.

It was an interesting week as the three indices continued their divergence. The NASDAQ was hands down the most bullish as it continued moving up within its long term regression channel, pegging itself to the upper boundary. The Dow showed the greatest divergence from the NASDAQ as it seems to have transitioned into a symmetrical triangle, basically a sideways consolidation pattern. The S&P also went into a sideways base for the week, but seems to have transitioned into a shallower but still bullish up trend. The NASDAQ and S&P both finished up, week-over-week, but the Dow, underscoring its bearish divergence, finished down. Despite all these differences, I am beginning to come to terms with the divergences, which I attribute to COVID-19.

There are only 30 companies in the DOW index, and this index contains a number of companies that have either a retail presence or a reliance on retail channels and would have therefore been impacted by COVID-19. Since it only has 30 companies, it only takes a little perturbation to skew the index. Similarly, the S&P has a large compliment of companies with the same dependencies on retail channels. Since this index has 500 companies, however, the effects have been more muted. The NASDAQ, on the other hand, with its heavy reliance on tech and with its collection of over 3,300 companies, seems to have weathered the COVID-19 epidemic better than the other indices. Basically, tech is leading the way right now.

Having said all that, what are my biases heading into the new week? Well, I am going to bet more on the NASDAQ and S&P, both of which remain bullish in the short and long term. My short and long term bias is therefore bullish.

Annotated Daily Chart for the NASDAQ:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fytkibn8rs...02020.jpg?dl=0

Annotated Daily Chart for the Dow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7h0kt5z9i...02020.jpg?dl=0

Annotated Daily Chart for the S&P:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/li4lktkcex...02020.jpg?dl=0

I didn’t find many setups that I loved this week, so I will have to refine my list early on based on how the week starts. Here are the stocks I will be watching to start the week:
    Long: ABMD, AMT, BNTX, CLDR, MELI, RVLV, STAA
    Short: MAXR, NBR

Good luck with your trading and investing.

Default Market sentiment for week ending July 24, 2020

Market sentiment for week ending July 24, 2020

I have included annotated daily charts for the NASDAQ and Dow. The S&P is again very similar to the DOW, and I have therefore not included a separate chart for it.

The good news is that things are looking bullish in all three indices, although there are major divergences in all three indices. The NASDAQ gapped up to make a new high at the start of the week, but then faded to finished lower, week-over-week. Still, the NASDAQ remains the most bullish of the three indices. The S&P and Dow both traded higher this week with both indices finishing higher, week-over-week. The Dow, which is the least bullish of the three indices is nevertheless approaching a golden cross in which the 50 day SMA crosses up over the 200 day SMA. The S&P just recently had a golden cross. A golden cross is usually considered a major buying signal. I’m a little hesitant to completely agree that this is a major buy signal right now, however, because the NASDAQ has already been trending up for quite a while and the S&P is currently also trending up with its shorter term moving averages already sitting above the 200 day SMA. Still, there is no denying that the DOW is now trading bullishly along with the other indices. For that reason my short and long term bias are both bullish.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ri9jnxiixr...02020.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pn7198xag4...02020.jpg?dl=0

I found a few setups that I liked for day and swing trading, but not too may. Right now, I am actually focused on getting into more buy and hold positions, and I have a number of long term (LT) watchlist stocks that I will be looking to buy this week (for a complete list of my LT watchlist stocks, please see my posts in the “Stocks for the Long Term” thread). Here’s a note regarding one stock that appears on my ST long watchlist this week, TBIO. This stock came up on my scans last Tuesday, and I tried to swing trade it that same day. It started to go my way on Wednesday, but then pulled back on Thursday, so I closed the short term (ST) position with a slight gain. I bring this stocks up because I really like the pattern. It still looks like it is going higher. Granted, it did form an island top recently, and it is sort basing at the low, but the like these rounded bottoms at an area of support intrigue me and, more often that not, produce gains. The stock resumed its move up on Friday on an uptick in volume and regained my interest for this week. Here are the stock on my ST and LT trade watchlists to start the week:
    ST Long: AES, ICPT, SPAQ, TBIO
    ST Short: NKLA, PEB, RLJ
    LT Long: AYX, CRSP, CRWD, DDOG, EXPI, FIVN, FSLY, HUBS, MELI, NET, OKTA, SDGR, TTD

Default Market sentiment for week ending July 31, 2020

Market sentiment for week ending July 31, 2020

I have included annotated daily charts for the NASDAQ and Dow. The S&P is again very similar to the DOW, and I have therefore not included a separate chart for it.

Despite the pullbacks this week, with all three indices closing lower week-over-week, the signs are still bullish. The S&P and Dow are trading well within their regression channels and are looking more and more bullish every day. In contrast, the NASDAQ traded down into the lower boundary of its regression channel, but it bounced off this boundary and continues to make higher pivot highs and higher pivot lows. For these reasons, my long term bias remains bullish. While the S&P and Dow are trading in the upper half of their regression channels, but the NASDAQ ended the week right at the lower boundary of its channel. I am therefore expecting a bounce to the upside. For that reason, barring any bad news to open the market on Monday, my short term bias is bullish.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0azisq4b6v...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pheidgwpq9...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

I saw quite a few bearish setups in my scans this weekend, although many of them were on my broker’s Hard-to-Borrow (HB) list thereby eliminating any chance of shorting them (I particularly liked SRNE, but can’t short it). I don’t have a big list this week, but here are the stocks I will be watching to start the week:
    Long: CAPR, IQ, LRN
    Short: AEO, CZR, KIM, PK, WDFC
    Possible LT additions: CRSP, REGN, SFIX, ZS

Default Market sentiment for week ending Aug 7, 2020

Market sentiment for week ending Aug 7, 2020

I have included annotated daily charts for the NASDAQ, Dow, and S&P.

While all three indices remain bullish, the Dow continues to diverge the most as the NASDAQ and S&P finished up for the week while the Dow did not. The NASDAQ continues to be the most bullish of the three indices by far, making new all time highs as it moves up. The Dow and S&P have not yet reclaimed all the territory lost since their February all time highs, although the S&P looks poised to make a run. One positive note for the Dow is that it seems ready to form a golden cross on the daily. Perhaps this portends a more bullish near term future for the Dow. The X factor for all of this, however, is the continued, looming threat of COVID-19. A couple of pieces of bad COVID-19 or economic data could easily break the bullish momentum and send the indices tumbling. Barring that, the indices all look bullish, so both my short term and long term bias remains bullish.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p4undkfe0...02020.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oule2c2mwv...02020.jpg?dl=0

Annotated Daily Chart for the S&P
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5p76mzxld...02020.jpg?dl=0

There weren’t a lot of sweet setups this week, but here are some stocks I will be watching to start the week:
    Long: CNXM, PI
    Short: CLVS, FLIR
    Possible LT additions: CRM, CRSP, NVDA, PANW, ROKU, WIX, ZS

Thread Information