Quantcast
I have 84 consecutive profitable trades of 15% or better. How is this possible? Every day there are hundreds of stocks setting new highs, no matter what happens in the overall market. Many of these stocks are still at very reasonable valuations. Afraid of buying stocks at their highs? Think of it this way: a new high is really a future floor for companies with solid financial underpinnings. Quantitative momentum modeling makes it easy to identify stocks that can continue this upward momentum trend. Why does this happen? It's really very simple..ask me about what investors and cows have in common. I am $$$ MR. MARKET $$$. I AM HUGE!!! Bring me your finest meats and cheeses. You can join in on the fun. Register for free and you'll be able to post messages on this forum and also receive emails when $$$ MR. MARKET $$$ makes his own trades. ($$$MR. MARKET$$$ is a proprietary investor and does not provide individual financial advice. The stocks mentioned on this forum do not represent individual buy or sell recommendations and should not be viewed as such. Individual investors should consider speaking with a professional investment adviser before making any investment decisions.)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Trivia Time

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth (Mostly)
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Not Latin, Billy.

    I did some research, and technically, you are correct, tiedyed. The answer was supposed to be German, but the German word daler (in German taler or thaler) is actually short for Joachimstaler, which refers to a coin from the silver mines of Joachimstal, in Bohemia (now Jáchymov in the Czech Republic). What are the chances anyone would know that? That’s obscure!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth (Mostly)
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Here’s a good one. Try to guess without looking it up. The answer might surprise you. From which president did the following quote come from:

    “In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

    We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.”

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
    Not Latin, Billy.

    I did some research, and technically, you are correct, tiedyed. The answer was supposed to be German, but the German word daler (in German taler or thaler) is actually short for Joachimstaler, which refers to a coin from the silver mines of Joachimstal, in Bohemia (now Jáchymov in the Czech Republic). What are the chances anyone would know that? That’s obscure!

    Many years ago an avid coin collector told me this story.

    At one time there was a coin called a dolar. This coin had eight evenly divided pie-shaped wedges minted into it. Since this was the smallest denomination coin, if you wanted 1/8th of the value, a person would literally "saw off" one of the wedges. This portion of the dolar was called a bit. So, if you wanted 1/4 of the coin, it took 2 bits. Thus the etymology of "two bits" being one quarter.
    Tim -Retired Problem Solver

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
    Here’s a good one. Try to guess without looking it up. The answer might surprise you. From which president did the following quote come from:

    “In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

    We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.”
    For me, the tipoff was "military-industrial complex, a term beginning in the 1950's I believe. So my guess would be Eisenhower.
    Tim -Retired Problem Solver

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth (Mostly)
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Nailed it, Tim. Man, we got some smart cookies around here. Kind of amazing that this came from our last ex-general president

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    8,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mimo_100 View Post
    Many years ago an avid coin collector told me this story.

    At one time there was a coin called a dolar. This coin had eight evenly divided pie-shaped wedges minted into it. Since this was the smallest denomination coin, if you wanted 1/8th of the value, a person would literally "saw off" one of the wedges. This portion of the dolar was called a bit. So, if you wanted 1/4 of the coin, it took 2 bits. Thus the etymology of "two bits" being one quarter.
    Another piece of trivia relating to "sawing off" edges of coins. People used to smash edges of gold coins then cut off the elongated chunk making it appear round again. That's why they started putting reeded edges on especially gold and silver coins.

    -----------------billy

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billyjoe View Post
    Another piece of trivia relating to "sawing off" edges of coins. People used to smash edges of gold coins then cut off the elongated chunk making it appear round again. That's why they started putting reeded edges on especially gold and silver coins.

    -----------------billy
    Thanks billy - I love reading these stories. Here is another one.

    When people talk about “the whole nine yards,” just what are they talking about?

    https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/b...es-origin.html
    Last edited by mimo_100; 03-12-2019 at 04:46 AM.
    Tim -Retired Problem Solver

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hamilton MA
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Trivia buffs might enjoy this. It shows the US presidents arranged by height, smallest first. One might first reflect on who was the tallest.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jImZ4SXP--4

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louetta View Post
    Trivia buffs might enjoy this. It shows the US presidents arranged by height, smallest first. One might first reflect on who was the tallest.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jImZ4SXP--4
    Well, I already knew who the tallest president was, but sadly, this made me realize that at 5' 7" I do not meet the height requirement to be elected president of the US.
    (that's it... I'm moving to Japan)

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hamilton MA
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiesen View Post
    Well, I already knew who the tallest president was, but sadly, this made me realize that at 5' 7" I do not meet the height requirement to be elected president of the US.
    (that's it... I'm moving to Japan)
    Kamala Harris is listed as 5'2" so if she wins she'll set a shortness record that likely will stand a good long time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gold time to go all in?
    By Phoenix7 in forum Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2016, 07:33 AM
  2. Could be time to get back in
    By mrmarket in forum Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-10-2016, 05:12 PM
  3. It's that time of year again!
    By mrmarket in forum Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
  4. It's Milluh time
    By DSteckler in forum Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 07:24 PM
  5. Time and date
    By DSteckler in forum Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Do you like this site?

Go to the homepage of
$$$ MR. MARKET $$$