Quantcast
I have 84 consecutive profitable trades of 15% or better. How is this possible? Every day there are hundreds of stocks setting new highs, no matter what happens in the overall market. Many of these stocks are still at very reasonable valuations. Afraid of buying stocks at their highs? Think of it this way: a new high is really a future floor for companies with solid financial underpinnings. Quantitative momentum modeling makes it easy to identify stocks that can continue this upward momentum trend. Why does this happen? It's really very simple..ask me about what investors and cows have in common. I am $$$ MR. MARKET $$$. I AM HUGE!!! Bring me your finest meats and cheeses. You can join in on the fun. Register for free and you'll be able to post messages on this forum and also receive emails when $$$ MR. MARKET $$$ makes his own trades. ($$$MR. MARKET$$$ is a proprietary investor and does not provide individual financial advice. The stocks mentioned on this forum do not represent individual buy or sell recommendations and should not be viewed as such. Individual investors should consider speaking with a professional investment adviser before making any investment decisions.)
Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

It seems that you have a certain affection for pharma / medical stocks... Is there a reason for this?
    Hide not your talents.
    They for use were made.
    What's a sundial in the shade?

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    It seems that you have a certain affection for pharma / medical stocks... Is there a reason for this?
    I have a connection with Longitude Capital and started buying their publicly traded stocks (AMRN, CORT, SLTM, JAZZ, NXTM), which happened to be pharmas, because of that connection. If they invested in widget stocks I would have bought them. But they rarely have a new publicly traded pick. I did OK with their pharmas so I wanted more.

I started looking at Orbimed stuff because they have a good reputation, it seems, and thought I'd take a flier on some of the lower priced stuff (MYLGF, RPBIF, BIOD, ANDS). The idea is that the VC analysts, who hopefully know their business, see some future in these issues, enough to buy a stake in them. So I figured why not me.

I look at the charts for AMRN and JAZZ and ask myself, can this be luck? It is, of course, a small sample.

Today's wild-assed pick is NEWN. New Energy Systems Group, which operates in China, is a vertically integrated original design manufacturer and distributor of lithium ion batteries and backup power systems for manufacturers of mobile phones, laptops, digital cameras, MP3s and other portable electronics.

NEWN's stock price reached a high of 9 within the year and as recently as July 4 had fallen to under 2. Initially the stock fell as NEWN was caught up in the panic associated with fraud in some of the reverse merger Chinese stock trading on the US OTC market. Then, to my unutterable surprise, NEWN announced on two separate occasions the need to restate their own results. First to account more properly for an acquisition and second to account for warrants awarded to a contractor.

This has now been been done. The company still sports positive earnings growth and a P/E of 2.5 which is meaningless since the P has suffered so much lately. At any rate results have been restated, the company has been added to the Russell microcap index, management has announced they are personally buying shares and the company has announced two new products. The stock recovered to about 3.65 and lost 10% today to about 3.2.

Are there still risks here? You bet. But the fact that their accountants have looked close enuf to find the problems they have and have not questioned the company's operating results seems encouraging. At 3.20 I am prepared to bet my small but tight ass that NEWN is a good buy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Louetta View Post
    Today's wild-assed pick is NEWN. New Energy Systems Group, which operates in China, is a vertically integrated original design manufacturer and distributor of lithium ion batteries and backup power systems for manufacturers of mobile phones, laptops, digital cameras, MP3s and other portable electronics.

NEWN's stock price reached a high of 9 within the year and as recently as July 4 had fallen to under 2. Initially the stock fell as NEWN was caught up in the panic associated with fraud in some of the reverse merger Chinese stock trading on the US OTC market. Then, to my unutterable surprise, NEWN announced on two separate occasions the need to restate their own results. First to account more properly for an acquisition and second to account for warrants awarded to a contractor.

This has now been been done. The company still sports positive earnings growth and a P/E of 2.5 which is meaningless since the P has suffered so much lately. At any rate results have been restated, the company has been added to the Russell microcap index, management has announced they are personally buying shares and the company has announced two new products. The stock recovered to about 3.65 and lost 10% today to about 3.2.

Are there still risks here? You bet. But the fact that their accountants have looked close enuf to find the problems they have and have not questioned the company's operating results seems encouraging. At 3.20 I am prepared to bet my small but tight ass that NEWN is a good buy here.

I like it. If you can believe their numbers, there is not much risk here at all.
    =============================

I am HUGE! Bring me your finest meats and cheeses.

- $$$MR. MARKET$$$

Today's wild-assed pick is the Bank of Ireland. Wilbur Ross and Fairfax Financial have each taken a 9.9% stake in the company which is the only one of six large Irish banks to avoid a state take-over. Ross states that he is impressed by the manner in which the Irish government has taken hold of their fiscal problems, comparing their actions favorably to countries on the continent. Also today the bank sold US $1.4 billion of US real estate loans, supposedly at near to fair value, to Wells Fargo to raise cash to shore up the balance sheet. Ross also says the Irish are used to hard times and will suck it up. Like the family in Billy Elliott. (OK, they are fictional characters.) Anyway I've invested via the ADRs (IRE). Ross bought the Irish stock. There is some seemingly valid comment on the net that the ADRs are overvalued vs. the stock and indeed are down only about 75% instead of about 90% for the stock. Ross says it will take 3 plus quarters before the bank turns a profit but I'm young.

Today's wild-assed pick is Anadys Pharmaceuticals (ANDS), a biopharma looking at developing novel medicines for treatment of Hep C. They have one candidate in Phase IIB and another entering Phase IIA. They have enuf cash to meet operating expenses for 5 more quarters which means they most likely would need more cash to bring one or both candidates to appproval. My interest is a 10% stake by Orbimed, recently increased. There are other VC firms involved plus half a dozen mutual funds, per Morningstar.
    Roche supposedly bidding $3.70.

Roche supposedly bidding $3.70.
    How long have you been holding this one Louetta? Up $2.74 over the past month or so. That would have been a nice ride. I took a look at it's monthly, weekly, and daily charts, and you can see some buying/accumulation going on. Would have liked to catch it back in August or September. Could be worth a bet here. I haven't looked at anything regarding it's fundamentals. But if your small but tight ass likes it then it should be worth some consideration.
    THE SKIRACER'S EDGE: MAKE THE EDGE IN YOUR FAVOR

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer View Post
    How long have you been holding this one Louetta? Up $2.74 over the past month or so. That would have been a nice ride. I took a look at it's monthly, weekly, and daily charts, and you can see some buying/accumulation going on. Would have liked to catch it back in August or September. Could be worth a bet here. I haven't looked at anything regarding it's fundamentals. But if your small but tight ass likes it then it should be worth some consideration.
    May 24, day after I posted it here. I got out at $3.65 earlier today (from a phone booth across from the Peabody, MA District Court where I was on juror standby). I would not buy it here, I would think Roche will acquire them and that's it.

Thumbs up

May 24, day after I posted it here. I got out at $3.65 earlier today (from a phone booth across from the Peabody, MA District Court where I was on juror standby). I would not buy it here, I would think Roche will acquire them and that's it.
    well done, Lou! Fantastic find, and even better trade!

Today's wild-assed pick is Antares Pharma (AIS). My main interest is that both Deerfield and Orbimed have stakes in the company. Past that they are looking at potential FDA approval for Anturol for the treatment of over-active bladder and expected Phase 3 efficacy data for LibiGel in a partnered program with BioSante for the treatment of female sexual dysfunction. They have revenue coming in, tho do not turn a profit, and have a product for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis in development. There is a certain amount of flogging of the stock on the net. It's moved some just in recent days. Anyway I've taken a flyer on it.

Thread Information