Quantcast
I have 26 consecutive profitable trades of 15% or better. How is this possible? Every day there are hundreds of stocks setting new highs, no matter what happens in the overall market. Many of these stocks are still at very reasonable valuations. Afraid of buying stocks at their highs? Think of it this way: a new high is really a future floor for companies with solid financial underpinnings. Quantitative momentum modeling makes it easy to identify stocks that can continue this upward momentum trend. Why does this happen? It's really very simple..ask me about what investors and cows have in common. I am $$$ MR. MARKET $$$. I AM HUGE!!! Bring me your finest meats and cheeses. You can join in on the fun. Register for free and you'll be able to post messages on this forum and also receive emails when $$$ MR. MARKET $$$ makes his own trades. ($$$MR. MARKET$$$ is a proprietary investor and does not provide individual financial advice. The stocks mentioned on this forum do not represent individual buy or sell recommendations and should not be viewed as such. Individual investors should consider speaking with a professional investment adviser before making any investment decisions.)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Industry & Sector rankings

Hi All,
    This forum is more serious than other forums on internet so I thought I put out a question for you all.

What do you think about Industry & Sector rankings, does chances of picking a winners increase when you select a stock from a high ranking sector? Specifically, what source do you use to obtain sector ranking & rotation information?

I have been looking at different web sources and their rankings differ from each other, sometimes quite a bit.
    If you do not want to post your source on the forum, then you can send me a private message.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post
    Hi All,
    This forum is more serious than other forums on internet so I thought I put out a question for you all.

What do you think about Industry & Sector rankings, does chances of picking a winners increase when you select a stock from a high ranking sector? Specifically, what source do you use to obtain sector ranking & rotation information?

I have been looking at different web sources and their rankings differ from each other, sometimes quite a bit.
    If you do not want to post your source on the forum, then you can send me a private message.
    Thanks.
    absolutely true. the highest ranked industries and the highest ranked sectors in those industries will provide the best stocks to look at for setups. not that you wont find good setups in other areas but you wont find the best setups in the worst industries and sectors thats for sure. try www.barchart.com for rankings and top stock rankings in those industries and sectors. good luck.

Raindrop,

I learned that you should do a Top Down Analysis. Which means, find the trend of the overall market first. If it is trending up, then find the best sectors and industries and then find the best stocks in those. Your chance of that stock going up will be much greater. I have noticed when you choose a solid stock in a strong sector they tend to pop more on "up" days and they more often than not, hold their own on the "down days"...if you are long.

I use Investools and it has Photography (29.2%), Textiles-non apparel (20.7%), and retail-apparel (16.7%) as the top 3 performing over the last 6 weeks. Coal and Metal mining had the 2 best of the week and of today as well.

Best,
    Steelman

steel, is investools a free site?

Steel - That's a good approach. I think Stan Weinstein uses that method as you probably know he's a market wizard.

I don't normally narrow my searches to industries, but when I have done it in the past, I've used MarketWatch:

http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/ind...ind_period=1wk
    Hide not your talents.
    They for use were made.
    What's a sundial in the shade?

- Benjamin Franklin

I prefer looking at individual stocks.... but there is no question that institutional money rotates into sectors and, as a result, stocks from the same sectors will move together.

At the end of the day, I look for earnings. If earnings begets sector rotation, that's fine. I don't really mind being too early or too late - as long as I buy into a company that has great earnings potential. If I do chances are it will be in a pretty good sector as well.
    =============================

I am HUGE! Bring me your finest meats and cheeses.

- $$$MR. MARKET$$$

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post
    I prefer looking at individual stocks.... but there is no question that institutional money rotates into sectors and, as a result, stocks from the same sectors will move together.

At the end of the day, I look for earnings. If earnings begets sector rotation, that's fine. I don't really mind being too early or too late - as long as I buy into a company that has great earnings potential. If I do chances are it will be in a pretty good sector as well.
    i don't think that you can rule out finding good setups in an out of favor sector or industry. you will always find exceptions to the rules. but i do strongly believe that looking at the strongest industries and sectors will enchance your chances for finding stronger setups. i also believe that timing is another key element and that finding a strong stock in a strong sector that has already made the strongest part of its move is going to get you in late and at the wrong time at a higher price.
    understanding that the trend is your friend and following market trends are as significant as finding the strongest sectors and industries. it has to be a melding of all the essential ingredients and applying your discipline where it provides you with the biggest edge to obtain your goal whether it be long or short. dialogue like this is a great starting point for gaining and accepting those concepts to build a trading base for a strategic discipline to begin forming. without that base and discipline i dont think anyone can be successful over the long run.

I use vectorvest Real Time Industry groups and follow the Groups du Jour...And I ignore groups such as photography and textiles...nothing there as the groups are too small.

Put the leading stocks from the group(s) in your streamers and watch the group(s) chart(s).

For longer term investors which probably 99%+ of you are...I still suggest groups...however, you should fully understand how your provider ranks them...For example...IBD ranks their groups based on 6 month performance...Now, even for you intermediate termers...Doesn't 6 months seem like arather long time for a group ranking?

Best, Doug
    "Trade What Is Happening...Not What You Think Is Gonna Happen"

Find Tomorrow's Winners At SharpTraders.com

Follow Me On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IIC View Post
    I use vectorvest Real Time Industry groups and follow the Groups du Jour...And I ignore groups such as photography and textiles...nothing there as the groups are too small.

Put the leading stocks from the group(s) in your streamers and watch the group(s) chart(s).

For longer term investors which probably 99%+ of you are...I still suggest groups...however, you should fully understand how your provider ranks them...For example...IBD ranks their groups based on 6 month performance...Now, even for you intermediate termers...Doesn't 6 months seem like arather long time for a group ranking?

Best, Doug
    excellent point doug and very true. that's why i use barcharts.com. they are current and each of their sectors shows the exact stocks in it and they change it on a very current basis as their basic ratings change.

Thread Information